Tuesday, May 14, 2013

How do you self study Japanese?

In my last post I briefly mentioned that I was interested in getting back into seriously studying Japanese again.   In the past I was taking classes, but this time I'm not wanting/able to do that (for various reasons), so I want to try and see what I can learn on my own. I know people have done this before, so I know it's possible (sort of?).  I need to figure out how to take all the resources available to me and mold them into a sort of one person class.  It seems like there's quite a bit out there on the web, and I've got a copy of Genki. It's just the how...

So help me out, tell me how you study Japanese on your own!

4 comments:

  1. I studied Japanese in highschool but only for 2 years before I moved schools which bugs me because I still plan to finish it off!

    Self teaching anything is always difficult. I guess like any goal, get your resources, find some friends to study with you and have a goal ie. travel to japan in a year or so :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Treat yourself like a child learning the language natively!

    Listen to kids shows and songs on YouTube, you can find out what they are on NHK's Japanese website or other Japanese networks.

    So many adults can't think of themselves as a child, but you learn your own language 90% NOT studying, but listening!

    Listen to podcasts, watch movies WITHOUT English subtitles, repeat sentences you hear over and over again, learn lyrics to songs and write them over and over, get a label-maker and label EVERYTHING in your house with the japanese equivalent! Find apps that are intended for Japanese children to learn kana/kanji or kids books online...

    You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, You can try www.lang-8.com It is really nice site and it is for free. It help me to learn Norwegian :)

    ReplyDelete